What are EDC knives? Well, the answer is right there in the name: Every day carry. To our mind, this can cover a lot of ground. Maybe an EDC knife is for self-defense, or maybe it's for general purpose use. Things like opening boxes, cutting tape, etc. Let's take a look at some of the features that make a pocket knife or fixed blade for EDC.
EDC Pocket Knives
When we think of pocket knives for everyday carry, we're using thinking of something with a folding blade. Usually that blade length is under under 3 inches as well. Maybe the first thing you're thinking of is the classic Swiss Army knife, or more complex multi-tools. Or maybe you're thinking of a defensive folding knife like the Fox Edge Atrax. The Atrax features blade steel made from 9Cr13 stainless steel. It drops into an affordable price range as well, coming in at under $50.
Features of Good EDC Knives
There are several factors that can contribute to making a good EDC (everyday carry) pocket knife. Here are some key considerations:
- Size: A good EDC pocket knife should be compact enough to fit comfortably in your pocket, but large enough to be functional for everyday tasks.
- Blade Material: The blade material should be durable, hold an edge well, and resist corrosion. Popular materials include stainless steel, high carbon steel, and Damascus steel.
- Blade Design: The blade design should be versatile and suitable for a wide range of tasks. Common blade shapes include drop point, tanto, and clip point.
- Handle Material: The handle material should be durable and provide a good grip. Popular materials include G10, carbon fiber, and titanium.
- Locking Mechanism: A good EDC pocket knife should have a reliable locking mechanism to keep the blade securely in place when in use.
- Ease of Opening: The knife should be easy to open with one hand, whether through a thumb stud, flipper, or other mechanism.
- Price: A good EDC pocket knife doesn't have to break the bank. There are plenty of high-quality options available at a reasonable price point.
Ultimately, the best EDC pocket knife for you will depend on your personal preferences and the tasks you plan to use it for. It's important to choose a knife that you feel comfortable and confident using on a daily basis.